Growing the Heart of Your Community
ERDL serves a population of more than 5,400 full-time residents in the village of Elk Rapids and the townships of Elk Rapids, Milton and Torch Lake. During the summer months, the service area swells to approximately 10,000 people, stretching limited space and resources even further.
The Elk Rapids District Library is at the heart of community life both literally and figuratively. Situated at the intersection of the E.C. Grace Memorial Harbor and marina, Veterans Memorial Park, and downtown Elk Rapids, the Library is centrally and conveniently located to serve area residents and visitors in a variety of ways.
The Library is a welcoming place for cultural arts and life-long learning, a place for people of all ages and cultures to access free information and technology, a gathering place to exchange ideas and participate in programs and activities for personal and social enrichment. Among the programs and services offered:
• Print & digital books and reading materials for adults, teens and children.
• Music and films on DVDs/CDs.
• Access materials from other libraries through the Michigan Electronic Library (MEL).
• Print & digital reference materials and information resources.
• Free access to computer workstations and internet service.
• Free, loaner laptop computers and internet hot-spot devices.
• Technology support including instruction and how-to information.
• Children’s programs including summer reading events, weekly story hour, and more.
• Adult programs including health & wellness, hobbies, support groups, and others.
• Small meeting space for groups such as the Investment Club, Scrabble Society, knitting group, grief counseling, tutoring, monthly book club and others.
• Quiet areas for reading, working, thinking, building puzzles, or simply relaxing and enjoying scenic water views.
• Tourist and local information.
• Used books for purchase.